Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hopkinton Site in LIDAR

Last month when I read about the Hopkinton site on the Rockpiles blog, I made some LIDAR images of the area.  I have never been there, and wanted to see what features I could find for a later visit.  Here are the best LIDAR images.  If anyone would like LIDAR images for illustrating the features of this site, I would be glad to send them in JPEG or TIF format.  Close-ups and different views can be made from the source data.


The area to the lower left in purple has plenty of walls and rounded structures indicating boulders and large rock piles.  The conical objects are tree artifacts.  The details are lined out below.


Dirt roads are dotted lines, and the walls are drawn in at lower left. The Z-axis was slightly exaggerated to bring out details. The area directly south also has many stone walls.  The larger square objects are houses.


Here it is marked.


The view directly west of the first area shown  has a road lined with houses. This area is also strewn with boulders.


The LIDAR data files used to generate these images are too large to be tiled together for a continuous image.

1 comment:

  1. I pointed this out on Peter's Rock Piles blog, but I wanted to mention that the Lawton-Foster parcel that is being publicized isn't actually one site. It is a small part of a much larger site that encompasses nearly three dozen square miles with the hill above Ashville Pond near Rockville as its epicenter. There are tens -- perhaps hundreds of thousands of rock piles from the top of that hill and spreading out in all directions -- into Yawgoog Scout Camp, into Canonchet, Lawton-Foster, and more. This enormous site also includes the petroglyphs in Yawgoog with red ochre staining and many other features. When I conducted my cursory investigations I found it to be the largest such site in all of New England.

    ReplyDelete