Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Visit to a Campsite

When I was a little girl, I dreamed that all the water drained from South Watuppa Pond, leaving behind a wonderland of rocks that my family and I explored.  This dream came true, in a strange way, when the water level fell during the summer of 2010, revealing stone rows, old campsites, and manitous.
Here the water is draining from present-day South Watuppa Pond,  revealing stone rows. The large boulder in  the left foreground is at the end of an existing "wharf", and the view  is to the south, to the inlet where Sawdy Pond drains into the pond.   The falling water level has  also revealed the donations at the large turtle effigy. The curving edge of the donation pile is  artistic license.
The only way I can visit these sites as they were hundreds of years ago is through imagination and artwork
      A wigwam covered with straw mats stands near the north stone row at the west shore campsite.  The ambient glow from the sky reveals the hill to the north, while mist rises from Watuppa Pond. To the north stands a hill crowned by a large boulder.
The next morning, I sit on the floor of a wigwam and watch the sun rise in the east. I have removed the curtain from the doorway for a better view.

The large puddingstone is down by the shore. Under the benches are a small stone mortar, a birch bark box, baskets, and other household items. I enjoyed painting the dome-shaped Shotaye's Cave so much, I wanted to do the inside of a wigwam.
   

1 comment: